Who We Are
Our History (1918-2018)
Pasadena United Methodist Church is now almost 98 years old, and very much alive. Our history dates back to 1875, when the Piney Grove Methodist church was formed near the intersection of Benfield and Jumpers Hole Road. Pasadena Methodist Episcopal Church came into existence in 1917 when it merged with the Piney Grove Church. The congregation first met in a tent, and later in the old Pasadena Elementary School. It was incorporated in 1918 when the wood-framed sanctuary was completed at the corner of Linden and Chestnut Streets.
With a membership of 68 in 1952 and a growing congregation, the Rev. Royden Kohler was appointed as the first full-time minister. Plans were formulated for a new sanctuary when land was presented to the congregation in 1955 by the Baltimore Conference, the forerunner of the present Baltimore-Washington Conference. Following a major financial drive, the church sanctuary, hall and office areas were constructed and then dedicated on Nov. 9, 1958. Two additional units followed later, the fellowship hall, kitchen and a partial education unit.
The Methodist and Evangelical Brethren Churches unified in 1968 when we became the present Pasadena United Methodist Church. In 2008, our church took a "Leap of Faith", completing renovations to our church facility in time for our 90th Anniversary celebration.
Join us as we look forward to celebrate our 100th anniversary in November 2018 - and become part of the ongoing history of our church serving our Lord here in Pasadena!